May 19 was the day we had been waiting for for a long time. We had signed up to do the Salt Lake Century way before I was pregnant so we were planning on training a little better then we did. I had been so sick with this pregnancy, so nauseous, so tired, so little energy, the last thing I wanted to was to ride and train. The furthest I had trained for was 20 miles, so I was not too prepared for it, but I was still going to ride what I could. Kev and His brother Shaun weren't as trained as they had liked to be either, but they were going to do 100 miles anyway. It was a beautiful crisp morning, I went to go see Kev and Shaun start at the start line with the kids and then I was a going to meet them at the half way point and finish the last 50 miles with them. Well I dropped the kids off with my parents and then my dad drove me to Syracuse where they were having their lunch stop. Kev and Shaun weren't there yet so that gave me a little time to get my bike back together (from being put in the backseat of the car) and ride around a little bit to get warmed up. Well at every rest stop they have a bike tech at every station in case someone has issues with their bike while on the ride. So the bike tech helps me put my bike back together and he is check out all the gears and shifters making sure they are all working properly and my left gear shifter isn't shifting. I noticed it had been sticking before but I took it in to Bikers Edge to get it tuned and fixed and obviously they didn't fix it. So he starts messing with it and takes it apart and tells me it is completely broken! I was totally distraught. SO I thought about it and thought Kevin is keeping about a 20 mph average, I would not be able to do that with my gear shifter completely broken, so i decided just to ride home and not even participate cause I would slow him down and there is no way I could do 50 miles with a broken shifter. So on my ride home I stopped at bikers edge to see what they needed to do to fix it, but it would have cost $200 and I don't usually bike with my wallet so I was out of luck :( SO I finished biking to my parents, pick up my kids and drove to the finish so we could cheer Kevy and Shaun at the finish! They did 102.7 miles in about 5 hours and 45 min. I am so proud of my sweetie! I miss so much doing these things with him. I cried a little riding home on my bike knowing I wouldn't be riding with him. It made me super sad! I love doing these awesome activities with him! It keeps us in shape and out enjoying nature! I love biking! I guess I learned my lesson to make sure my bike is completely working before my big ride days come. Can't wait to do our next ride!
Shaun and Kev in the early morning ready to start the ride!
Ethan and Kiley playing at the park waiting for Daddy to stop by at the rest stop in Centerville
Meeting Kevy at the rest stop in Centerville
Kev and Shaun coming in at the Finish at the Utah State Fair Park! Great Job guys!






No comments:
Post a Comment