May 23 - 27 we had the opportunity to go to DC to see Kev's older brother, Chris, retire from the Air Force. He has been serving for 21 years and was ready to retire so he could spent more time with his family and not have to worry about getting deployed again. He is a Master Sargent in EOD. If any of you have seen Hurt Locker, that is what he does! Pretty crazy. But we are grateful for him and his family and the service they have done for our country! As I was looking for flight to DC I found it was cheaper to fly to New York then take the Amtrak train to DC, Neither Kev or I had been to New York before so we thought It would be super fun to spend the day in New York then travel by train to DC. We took a red eye to New York, which was probably a bad idea because I didn't get one ounce of sleep. We landed in New York at 6:15 am and we had a shuttle bus come pick us up and take us to downtown New York. Nikki, Josh, Jon and Julie were all with us. Jon has a buddy that he took hunting that works in New York so he got a hold of him and we were able to meet up with him. He took us to breakfast at a little place that was right next to the rockafeller plaza where the ice skating rink is. It was pretty neat. After he showed us around where he worked, we took a tour that lasted about 4 hours, it took us pretty much everywhere that we wanted to see, or everywhere I cared for. New York was way super crazy for me. Too much going on and the drivers there ARE nuts! New York is a place everyone must see at least once... but I wouldn't care to go back!
 |
On our Tour bus
 |
 |
| This was found in the ruble at the WTC, with airplane debris and body parts in it...So sad... |
 |
| The New Freedom Tour! It was huge! |
 |
| Waiting in line to go see the new WTC memorial! |
 |
| Ignore the two ladies, I was trying to capture the man behind them lol He was pretty decked out |
 |
| The new Freedom Tower was already at 100 floors, and they weren't done yet, It is suppose to be 1776 ft |
 |
| Nikki and Josh at the WTC memorial. It was so beautiful! |
 |
| This tree was found under all the debris and ruble. They were able to save it and nurse it back to life, and then they moved it back to the site. |
 |
| View of Central Park |
 |
| The Brooklyn Bridge |
 |
| On our Tour, Liked the view of the flag with the Freedom Tower behind it! |
 |
| The Statue of Liberty! It was so beautiful! |
 |
| Time Square! I think I was ready to be out of New York by this time. The smell of smoke is so bad there! I had a horrible headache, plus being pregnant, and lack of sleep didn't help much. |
 |
| Chris's Retirement Program |
 |
| His bomb suit |
 |
| All of his medals, He made the case they were all in |
 |
| The robot that would disarm bombs |
 |
| Kev's Brothers except Dave - They pretended Dave was in the bomb suit lol |
 |
| Group Picture |
 |
| We were able to do some site seeing around the mall but we didn't get far cause it was so blooming hot and humid!! |
 |
| The Lincoln Memorial |
 |
| At the museum of natural history |
No comments:
Post a Comment