Enjoy the little things

Monday, January 31, 2011

Interesting Month

My goodness this month has been quite the interesting one! We have all been down under the weather all month, it kinda gets really depressing after a while, a couple weeks ago I was down with the flu, I HATE throwing up, worst feeling ever! Then after that we all got this horrible cold with horrible coughs that would not go away! The kids have had fevers off and on and ear infections, pink eye... uhhh I am just done and ready for spring to hit us hard! While I went to the doctor a couple weeks ago getting medication for my nausea due to the flu I had, Kev wanted me to ask the doctor about some issues I have also been having for a couple years now, that I have really noticed, whenever I exercise I get really bad blackouts where I nearly pass out, so he scheduled me to get a Stress Echo Test done on my heart. Well I went in Friday and it was quite the interesting experience. When I got there they first did a ultra sound on my heart took a bunch of before pictures which took about 20 minutes to do. Then they had me run on a treadmill, well about 10 minutes into it (I might add they had me running at a 5 mph at a 20% grade) I started feeling as I do sometimes, I started getting out of breath, getting really light headed, my ears started going fuzzy, so they got me off real quick and as I was getting back to the bed I started getting really disoriented, which was weird, I ran into and bonked my head into the wall... It was just really weird, so they checked my heart again took more pictures, then had the doctor come in and check it all out. I guess he wasn't seeing anything abnormal, but because of my disorientation and other symptoms they decided to do more tests, one called a bubble test. They put an IV in my arm and inserted some saline into my arm while I was blowing really hard into this straw thing and flexed my tummy muscles really hard. I guess that must have showed something, cause the doctor got excited about whatever he saw, He then asked if I get headaches, which I do, I get horrible migraines all the time, so then they had me do one more test called a TCD test which is like a bubble test but the put a halo thing on my head and watch the veins on the sides of your head cause I guess this test is a little bit more sensitive. So I guess the results showed I have a hole in the upper chamber of my heart which can be closed off by surgery... and they said which could be the cause of my migraines as well... I have had it all my life it just never closed off after birth like it is suppose to. blahhh ARE YOU SERIOUS! Not exactly what I wanted to hear. They used to have to do Open Heart Surgery to fix it but now they can go through the artery on you leg/pelvis. So that is good news I guess... right... Trying to stay optimistic... But I have been pretty emotional this past weekend. Any surgery is no fun... but having them mess with your heart is just extra scary to me.

4 comments:

Vyedka said...

Erika I am so sorry to hear about your heart. Steve and I can really relate to you because of his heart issues he has been having this last year. (Which seem to be getting worse). It is really scary to have heart issues, I am so sorry. I am praying for you and thinking about you often. I know that everything will go smoothly and they will fix that hole in your heart. Love you and remember to keep me in the loop! I want to know how you and your family are doing! Ü Thank goodness Kevin told you to ask questions!

McKell said...

Oh my goodness I'm glad you got that checked! I'm glad they were able to find the problem and that it is something they can fix. Surgery is always a little scary I'm sure it will all go well! Please let me know if you need anything!

kim said...

Oh Erika, I am so sorry to hear about this. I cannot imagine having to worry about this, but at least you know it can be fixed and now you know about the problem. Life just does not seem fair sometimes but we all grow and become stronger with each trial. I am so sorry you have to deal with this - I will pray for you and keep you in mind :)

The Schramm's said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! You poor thing! How scary but thankfully they can take care of it quickly and you won't have those problems anymore. Let me know when they do it please!! I will come bring you a meal.